People are not always born with perfectly straight teeth. However, if you have misaligned or crooked teeth, the good news is you can still improve your smile by taking advantage of orthodontic appliances to straighten teeth.
Invisalign is one of the most effective and popular teeth-straightening solutions available. Read on to learn more about this appliance, how it functions, and how it can repair teeth alignment. Also find out how long it would take to see the results of wearing Invisalign, and whether or not it’s a worthy investment. This quick guide answers the frequently asked questions about Invisalign to help you decide if it’s right for you.
What Is Invisalign?
Invisalign is a treatment that uses customized and removable plastic aligners to straighten the teeth. These aligners correct teeth alignment over time without the use of wires and brackets. Invisalign is made of FDA-approved plastic material so it doesn’t contain harmful chemicals (e.g. latex) that may compromise your health.
Aligners are specially designed to suit the unique needs of every patient. After the consultation, your dentist will create a mould of your teeth and send it to a lab. Your dentist will ensure your aligners fit snugly on your teeth and apply the appropriate pressure in the areas that need fixing. You can remove your aligners when you eat, brush, or floss.
How Does It Work?
Invisalign functions the same way as metal braces. The plastic trays are designed to apply gentle force on the problematic areas of the teeth (with careful timing) to bring them into the right alignment.
Aligners need to be replaced usually every 2 weeks to consistently put the right pressure on your teeth. Your dentist will monitor the progress of your treatment during your visits and make changes to the aligners when needed.
Why Is Invisalign Better Than Metal Braces?
Invisalign benefits far outweigh that of traditional braces. While both solutions effectively straighten your teeth, with Invisalign, you don’t need to worry about unsightly brackets, wires sticking in your mouth, and being mindful of what you eat.
Invisalign is clear, making it less noticeable, and causes little to no discomfort. It is also removable, which makes it much easier to clean your teeth and gums. You won’t have to deal with the inconvenience of brushing and flossing around brackets and wires.
How Long Does The Treatment Take?
Treatment duration can vary depending on a patient’s alignment issues. Generally speaking, adult Invisalign treatments can take about 12 to 18 months. For teenagers, it can be completed between 2 and 3 years or about the same duration as traditional braces.
Consult with a trusted dentist at Lambton Family Dental to know the estimated treatment length for your case. The good thing about aligners is that since they’re clear, you can begin seeing improvement within the first few weeks of treatment.
How Often Do I Need to Wear My Aligners?
Aligners must be worn every day for 20 to 22 hours for them to work. This is vital in the effectiveness of the treatment. When you remove your aligners to eat, drink, or clean them, ensure that you put them back in right away. Long hours of not wearing them will derail your treatment.
Do I Need to Skip Eating Certain Foods?
No. What’s great about Invisalign is that you don’t have to give up specific foods or restrict your diet. Your trays are designed to be removed when you eat, that’s why you don’t need to worry about your teeth getting damaged by hard or sticky foods. However, you may need to be careful with your eating habits after wearing a new set of aligners, because you may feel slight discomfort in your teeth while adjusting to them.
Remember to brush your teeth after meals before putting the aligners back in. When eating food that’s difficult to remove (e.g. corn on the cob), take time to brush and floss thoroughly before wearing the aligners.
How Do I Take Care of My Aligners?
Keep your Invisalign trays from discolouration and odour and bacteria buildup by following these tips:
- Clean your teeth and aligners carefully every morning. Chances are when you’re asleep, bacteria could have built up on your aligners. That’s why it’s crucial to clean your teeth and aligners at the start of every day. Do the same before going to bed as well.
- Rinse your Invisalign trays each time you remove them. Doing so prevents plaque and dry saliva from accumulating in your trays. The important thing to keep in mind here is to prevent bacterial growth in your aligners when you take them out. Consider using antibacterial soap to keep them as clean and clear as possible.
- Brush your aligners with a soft-bristled toothbrush to gently remove plaque. Make sure to do so even when you’re out travelling.
- Soak your aligners every day either in Invisalign cleaning crystals or denture cleaner. Then after soaking, use a spare toothbrush to thoroughly brush off linger food particles or plaque. Rinse the aligners before wearing them back.
- Brush and floss before replacing the aligners. Putting them back in where there are food particles lodged between your teeth traps the debris inside the aligners. This could result in the formation of cavities and the development of other dental problems.
How Do I Know If I’m a Good Candidate for Invisalign?
This orthodontic treatment is an investment that requires time and money, so it’s important to ensure it’s right for you. It would be best to do your research on all the options available for you and weigh the advantages and disadvantages of each treatment. Schedule an initial consultation with an dentist you can trust.
Invisalign is the best treatment choice for you if you want a less invasive yet highly effective treatment.
What Alignment Problems Can Invisalign Correct?
Invisalign can treat common alignment like:
- Overbite – The upper teeth protrude out and farther than the lower teeth.
- Underbite – The lower teeth protrude past the upper teeth.
- Open bite – The teeth are not aligned properly when the jaws are closed.
- Teeth crowding or overcrowded teeth – When the teeth are pressed together but not in proper alignment.
- Gapped teeth – A space of gap exists between two teeth
Is Invisalign Affordable?
Invisalign is affordable for most people. The treatment cost may be higher than traditional braces, but the benefits that Invisalign provides are worth every dollar. Many dentists offer affordable payment terms as well. Some dental insurance plans cover Invisalign and you can also discuss staggering monthly payments with your dental care provider.
If you have further questions about Invisalign treatment, speak with a reliable dentist in your area. They can help you figure out if it’s a viable option for you based on your alignment issue, budget, and lifestyle.
Lambton Family Dental offers orthodontic treatment and family dentistry for everyone. If you’re looking for affordable and trustworthy teeth straightening in Sarnia, call (519) 344-5747 to book an appointment today.