Thanks to modern technology, we have more options for orthodontic care and teeth straightening. For some patients, Invisalign may present a more desirable option over traditional braces. Here are some reasons why Invisalign might work for you:
Reasons to choose Invisalign over braces:
- Removable – Traditional braces are permanently attached to teeth, which can prove problematic while eating or participating in contact sports. Invisalign can be removed. Traditional braces can restrict you from eating certain foods (e.g. hard foods like nuts, and sticky, chewy ones like caramel); they tend to get stuck between the wires. Aligners can be removed when you eat and may allow you other dietary options. However, depending upon your tooth alignment, you may wish to avoid these prohibitive foods, anyway.
- Ease of cleaning – When brushing teeth with traditional braces, you’ll need to be careful cleaning around the brackets and wires. With Invisalign, you can simply remove the tray and brush normally. Be advised that Invisalign trays must be cleaned regularly by brushing and rinsing them in warm water. They, too, can become stained if neglected.
- Appearance – As the name implies, Invisalign is designed to seem invisible. The aligners are made of clear plastic, and virtually impossible to see when worn. Patients who feel apprehensive about having a mouthful of metal can use Invisalign to avoid any drastic change in their appearance.
- Time – On average, treatment time with traditional braces lasts around two years. Patients eligible for Invisalign may only have to wear aligners for 6 – 18 months, depending on individual needs. While aligners must be consistently worn, Invisalign will cause less overall disruption of regular activity and can cut treatment time in half.
- Comfort – Invisalign is designed to fit over teeth instead of being directly attached to them. Traditional braces can rub against cheeks, and wires and brackets may loosen. Invisalign technology allows for comfort and support without the pain that wires and brackets may cause.
Invisalign can be a convenient option for patients with sensitive gums, have a more active lifestyle, or who want to avoid the aesthetic of traditional braces. Speak with your orthodontist to see if Invisalign is a viable option for you.
Lambton Family Dental provides orthodontic treatment and family dentistry for all ages, from young children to seniors. If you need teeth straightening in Sarnia, contact us at (519) 344-5747 to make an appointment today.